- Aloita Aikido
Get to know aikido
The best way to find out about aikido is to try it. Newcomers can participate in our aikido classes for two weeks free of charge. Please bring with you sweatpants, a tee shirt with sleeves, slippers, and a towel.
Most of our teachers are fluent in English and most of the practitioners are able to communicate any details. This section concerns adults, for aikido for children check in the section entitled Juniorit.
Instructions for the first practice session
When you decide to join practice sessions
Please send an email to aikido (at) meidokan.fi and we will let you know when you can come to basic level class or if you are an experienced aikidoka you can join any class. We need you to register in advance via Jalkkis-system and you will get instructions for that by email.
Your first class: Please come to the location 15 minutes before the session starts. Take comfortable clothing (e.g., sweatpants and a T-shirt), a towel, and a pair of slippers. Participants wash their feet before the session, and you will need the slippers to keep your feet clean on your way to the practice mat. Long hair must be bound, and any jewellery etc. be removed before the session.
See FAQ (sorry, only available in Finnish under “Usein kysyttyä”)
To continue practicing
You can try aikido free of charge for two weeks. The current membership fee 2021 is 340 € for a full year, or 170 € for half year (spring or fall season).
- Fill out an application for membership. Once application form is filled you have a permission to attend all aikido practices.
- The membership payment istructions will be sent you by e-mail in 2-3 weeks.
- All those who practice aikido need an insurance against injury. Please check your insurance company for your insurance coverage against aikido injuries or purchase insurance against injury from Finland Aikikai. More information on insurance coverage can be found on the Finland Aikikai website.
- Finland Aikikai provides every new adult aikidoka for free a beginners licence (“tutustumislisenssi”) with insurance for maximum duration of 3 months or until the first graduation. The beginners licence is free of charge. To get the beginners licence and insurance activated follow instructions at Finland Aikikai website.
- Buy an aikido training outfit; they are available at any budo shop. Ask other aikidokas for preferences.
- Finland Aikikai beginner-service should cover most questions about beginning aikido training. Service is available in finnish and swedish.
For more information on beginning aikido and taking part in practices, you can send your inquiry to aikido (a) meidokan.fi.