- Aloita Aikido
- Ohjeet ensimmäisiin harjoituksiin
- Harjoittelun jatkaminen
- Aikido for beginners – How to get started
Get to know aikido
The best way to find out about aikido is to try it. Taking part in our one-month training in basic techniques is an easy way of getting started. Newcomers are welcome to normal practice sessions as well: you get to train with and get hands-on instruction from more experienced practitioners, or aikidokas. Newcomers can participate in our aikido classes for two weeks free of charge. Please bring with you sweatpants, a tee shirt with sleeves, slippers, and a towel.
Groups are welcome to try aikido during open tatami sessions or at practice sessions during the basic techniques training period. Please make appointments for introductory training sessions for groups in advance aikido (a) meidokan.fi
Most of our teachers can also give instructions in English and most of the practitioners are able to communicate any details. This section concerns adults, for aikido for children check in the section entitled Juniorit.
Instructions for the first practice session
When you decide to join practice sessions
You can start practising aikido by turning up at any practice session. Please come to the location 15 minutes before the session starts and ask for the instructor in charge.
Take comfortable clothing (e.g., sweatpants and a tee shirt), a towel, and a pair of slippers. Participants wash their feet before the session, and you will need the slippers to keep your feet clean on your way to the practice mat. Long hair must be bound, and any jewellery etc. be removed before the session.
See FAQ (sorry, only available in Finnish under “Usein kysyttyä”)
To continue practicing
You can try aikido free of charge for two weeks. Just register in Meido-Kan as a member of the aikido adults group. The current membership fee 2020 is €320 for a full year, or €160 for half year (spring or fall season)
- Fill out an application for membership in Meido-Kan registratiom form. Once application form is filled you have a permission to attend all aikido practices.
- The membership payment istructions will be sent you by e-mail in 2-3 weeks.
- All those who practice aikido need an insurance against injury. Please check your insurance company for your insurance coverage against aikido injuries or purchase insurance against injury from Finland Aikikai. More information on insurance coverage can be found on the Finland Aikikai website.
- Finland Aikikai provides every new aikidoka for free a beginners licence with insurance for maximum duration of 3 months or until the first graduation. The beginners licence is free of charge. To get the beginners licence and insurance activated fill in Finland Aikikais tutustumislisenssi-lomake
- Buy an aikido training outfit; they are available at any budo shop. Ask other aikidokas for preferences.
- You will get a basic course guide that will provide answers to many of your questions – sorry, only in Finnish.
For more information on beginning aikido and taking part in practices, you can send your inquiry to aikido (a) meidokan.fi